The National Institute of Fundamental Studies is the only Institute of its kind, established by an Act of Sri Lankan Parliament. Some of its aims and objectives, amongst others, are to initiate, promote and conduct research and original investigation into fundamental studies in general, with particular emphasis on mathematics, physical and chemical sciences, life sciences, social sciences and philosophy, taken in the broadest sense.
Job No : NIFS/Careers/2023/03/879
Work type : Contract Basis
Location : NIFS Headquarters, Kandy, Sri Lanka
Division/ Research Programmes :
Research Assistant Gr.II – 27,775 – 3 x 645 - 29,710/- + 25% (Re.All.) + Govt. All.
Research Assistant Gr.I - 35,015 – 3 x 790 – 37,385/- + 25%(Re. All.) + Govt. All.
Advertised : 2023-03-14
Applications close on : 03.00 pm on
Research Assistant Gr.II
- A four year Degree with specialization in the relevant subject (Please see below) with First or Second Class (Upper Division) Honours
- A four year Degree with specialization in the relevant subject (Please see below) with Second Class (Lower Division) Honours
- A Degree with the relevant subjects (Please see below) and Postgraduate Degree in the relevant subject with a research component.
- An applicant who is eligible under (2), (3) above could be considered for appointment only if applicants qualified under (1) above are either not available or evaluated and considered as unsatisfactory by the selection committee. Such appointment would require a special justification.
Applicants should fill and submit the online form which is available www.nifs.ac.lk.
Please note that it is the NIFS policy to appoint only the Research Assistants who register for a M.Phil/PhD degree and also work for a minimum of two years.
Research Assistant Gr.I
1. Applicants who hold a M,Phil.degree or higher qualifications in the relevant field are appointed as Research Grade I.
Relevant Subjects for Projects
Relevant Subjects for Projects
1. Environmental Science Research Program: Water Research
Relevant Subjects - Physics or Geology, Environmental Science four years (special degree). Special emphasis is given for applicant with the experience on chemical vapor deposition method, and /or hydrogeochemical modeling
2. Environmental Science Research Program: Material development and pollutants remediation
Relevant Subjects - Chemistry, Materials Science, Environmental Science
Preference will give experience with material processing or nanotechnology
Relevant Subjects – Physics, Chemistry, Materials Science
Interest in materials science research and good communication skills in English are essential.
Age Limit : Should be not less than 22 years and not more than 45 years
Employees will contribute 10% of their salary to the NIFS Staff Provident Fund, while the Institute will contribute 15%. In addition, the Institute will contribute 3% of the salary to the ETF.
From a structured interview conducted by a panel appointed by the NIFS and a written competitive examination.
How to Apply
Applications should be submitted online (preferred) or under registered cover (should mention the relevant post applied, on the left-hand corner of the envelope) with copies of certificates in support of age and qualifications.Submit the application online
Secretary to the Governing Board National Institute of Fundamental Studies Hantana Road, Kandy Tel: 081-22 32 106 / 081-22 32 107